Friday, August 26, 2011

Review: Incredible Insects Volume 1

In my life as a DM I like to have as many options as possible, especially when my gaming group has more knowledge than is good for them. While browsing DriveThruRpg one day, I came across Incredible Insects: Volume 1. The price was less than a dollar so I pulled the trigger and made the purchase. This supplement was published by Escape Velocity Gaming.



I wasn't expecting much for the price but I have to say I was very pleased with the content. The supplement contains 5 different insects, three of the insects have a variation. This gives the DM a total of 8 new and unique insects! I don't want to go into too much detail about the content because I would rather you experienced them for yourself. I will however mention my personal favorite. It is a type of centipede that attacks the players dreams when they are sleeping or when they are knocked unconscious. This provides the DM with an excellent way to interject a little horror into their campaigns.

The descriptions of the insects are adequate and includes a section on the lore of the creature which the players can discover using the skill check provided. Each insect is illustrated and contains a full stat block. One of the entries contains a few adventure ideas.

This supplement is best used for Heroic tier adventures. Even though there are quite a few adventures and supplements geared to this level, I can't recall one that focuses on insects.

Overall, I would give Incredible Insects: Volume 1 a 5 out of 5. This is a valuable addition to any DMs stable of nasty creatures. It will keep experienced players guessing throughout any encounter featuring one of these insects. This coupled with the very low price of less than a dollar makes this a can't miss!

You can download this supplement from DriveThruRPG here.

The homepage of the publisher can be found here.

Rating: 5 out of 5

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this review. We are very proud of all the work we've published and people like you who are willing to say such nice things on their own website make it all worth the time and effort we put into it. Thanks again for your kind words.

    -Bill Moran (Editor, Escape Velocity Gaming)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post thank you Kyle

    ReplyDelete